Thursday, December 17, 2009

Amelia Rollings' Voice Studio Recital

The final performance for my fall semester was Wednesday, December 16th. I performed two pieces in the Amelia Rollings' voice studio recital. It was nice to be first in the program with my classical piece, "Porgi amor", because I could relax (and turn pages for Cale) until it was my turn again at the end with my musical theatre piece, "I Can Do Better Than That." I have included the videos with this post. I have to say that belting is still new for me and I'm finding it a fun challenge to step out of my classical "box" and become a better singer on that end of the spectrum.

The whole evening was fantastic, with everyone performing both a musical theatre and classical piece on the program. It was amazing how everyone's improved and changed so much over the course of the semester, me included. Amelia is a great teacher, and I want to include a quote that she had provided to us at one point in the semester for a little more encouragement: (from Nike) "All your life you are told the things you cannot do. All your life they will say you're not good enough or strong enough or talented enough; they will say you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or be this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. All your life they will tell you no, quite firmly and very quickly. AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES." I believe that every singer told them "YES" at the recital.

Congratulations to everyone in the Amelia Rollings' voice studio this semester and a HUGE thanks goes out to Cale Plute, master accompanist! He had a TON of music to learn and play for all of us and did it well, even with some of the pages ending up under the piano at one point. I also apologize to Cale for watching his fingers more than the music at times. I've always been amazed with superior piano playing skills and has a trance-like effect on me. In any case, may next semester bring everyone many more successes!

No comments: