Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pierogi Party!





When the Steelers made it to the Superbowl this year, I decided to have a Superbowl party in my new apartment. What I didn't do was take many good pictures of that event.

Anyhow, the fare for that party was typical of Pittsburgh folk. Paul and I made several kinds of pierogies for the event and they were a hit! They were so much of a hit that some of my grad friends wanted to learn how to make them. I promised that we'd set a date for a pierogi making lesson.

We gathered on Saturday, March 21, 2009 for the culinary lesson at the Docker residence. Yu-Chen, Jess, Cathe and Yi-Ting helped to prepare a new batch of dough with Paul's instruction, and then work with the ready batches of dough to turn them into pierogies. I was on the finishing end with the actual cooking. In total, we made the following types: potato/cheese, potato/cheese/bacon, beef/cheese, prune, apricot, apple. When all the cooking was finished, we gladly sat down to eat and then play a fun game of Apples-to-Apples.

A couple of days later, I used the dough that the girls made to make the following types of pierogies: cannoli filling (ricotta & chocolate), apple, cottage cheese/onion. Good times, good friends, and good food. Who could ask for anything more?