Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spring Break "09" with Corey...Memphis, TN




Throughout my undergrad, I only had one real spring break...1998, when my sister and I decided to drive to our brother's place in Myrtle Beach in South Carolina. I had not had any spring break trips at any other time because I was always on some tour with some ensemble...choir, mainly. They were fun tours, but it was never really a spring break trip. Anyhow...

There's a blues singer by the name of Barbara Blue. She was originally from Pittsburgh, and one of my closest friends, Corey, and I discovered her while she was still performing in Pittsburgh. We were instant fans, and rarely missed a performance. You want stage presence? Barbara's got it!

Barbara relocated to Memphis just over 10 years ago, for a better gig: singing at Silky O'Sullivan's. After Barbara's move, Corey and I said that we'd go to Memphis some day, just to see her in her element. This spring break was our first chance.

We stayed at the Westin, Executive Suite (Thank you, Tonny!), which was just around the corner from Silky O'Sullivan's. We toured through Beale Street, which isn't very long, but there is a lot there, walked through a significant part of the city, visited Graceland, and just overall relaxed and enjoyed each other's company. I even got the privilege of joining Barbara on-stage to sing one of her more upbeat numbers and closer for her final set on Sunday night, "Trouble with a Capital T".

We had a great time. This spring break was well worth it! So, I guess our next trip will be...?

1 comment:

Paul Snatchko said...

I wish there were some good Barbara Blue videos on YouTube or some clips on Imeem that I could embed on my blog.